Re: About to format the whole laptop, need some partitioning advice.

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 02:20:29AM +0530, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
> I am reading a lot on LVM, and it seems that I have a small doubt. I
> found this on tldp HOWTO on LVM:
>
> > root on LVM requires an initrd image that activates the root LV. If a kernel is upgraded without building the necessary initrd image, that >kernel will be unbootable. Newer distributions support lvm in their mkinitrd scripts as well as their packaged initrd images, so this >becomes less of an issue over time.
>
> I am not able to understand this but will it affect me on debian?

No.  You can boot directly from an LVM LV, and the installer will
set up a suitable initrd for you and configure grub to load the
kernel and initrd from LVM.  As the above says, new distributions
support it properly.

If you have a complex setup (e.g. on RAID5), you might need a
separate /boot.  If it's a single disc, it will work just fine.
If you're concerned, just create a separate /boot; it's not
necessary, but it doesn't hurt.

> Also while I am on the partitioner page on the debian-installer, there
> is one choice like:
> "Guided: Use entire disc and setup as LVM"
>
> Now since I am doing a dual boot and windows is already installed, I
> feel I cannot use this option
> as it will wipe the partition used by windows.
>
> Can I set LVM using some other method?

Yes.  Partition manually, and create a partition to hold *all* your
Linux data.  However, rather than selecting a filesystem type, you
choose "Physical volume for LVM", and then configure LVM.  It will
then let you use this partition for a new LVM volume group.  Once
that's done you can add as many logical volumes as you like, and
assign mountpoints to them, make swapspace etc, and then continue
with the install as usual.

> > ravenclaw# lvextend --size +1G --resizefs /dev/ravenclaw/chroots
> Is there a simple gui tool available for the same?

I have no idea myself.  I've always just used the tools directly.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh