Re: sad but true, Linux sucks, a bit

* On 2014 17 Jan 05:15 -0600, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> The advantage of Windows over Debian is hardware support and that more
> people get payed for writing software for exotic usages, such as audio
> and video editing.

In amateur radio circles there is a constant warning against USB to
serial dongles using the Prolific chips due to driver issues and FTDI
chipsets are preferred.  A year ago I intended to use my laptop which
came with Windows 7 to log an amateur radio event.  The OS completely
forgot the FTDI device that was attached and could not find it.  I lost
nearly an hour of time tracking down a replacement driver and finally
getting it installed.  The same hardware has been very well supported in
Debian for several years at least.  I think the meme that Windows
automatically has better driver support is, these days, suspect at best
and an outright lie at worst.

The other issue Julian had was that he jumped into a Linux distribution
at about the worst time to be using KDE.  I suspect his experience would
be better today, but the dearth of amateur radio software compared to
the Windows platform still exists, especially pretty looking programs.

I also wonder if Julian, as many other hams I've talked to over the
years, get the idea from those of us who favor Linux that a Linux
distribution is a bug for bug replacement for Windows.  We know that is
not the case although many of the same things may be accomplished in a
Linux based environment as in Windows or OS/X.

I still see the glass as half full as there are opportunities to improve
the Linux environment.  Not everything has been done that can be done.
Also, for a general computing environment either a Linux or BSD based
system seems to be the remaining choices as Windows and OS/X seem to be
moving toward a media centric focus.  While our free systems can do that
as well, they will never receive the blessing of the big media companies
whole still hold their customers at a paranoid arm's length.

Perhaps it is the perspective of time or age, but while it is
unfortunate that some people find that a Linux system doesn't meet their
needs or expectations, it is helpful to remember that neither do the
popular proprietary systems meet the needs or expectations of all.
What I want to avoid is the monopoly position held by Windows during the
late '90s and early part of this century.  I just ask for the freedom to
choose.

- Nate