Re: Won't complete bootup (gdm3 problem?)

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-11-29 at 15:43 -0500, Jon N wrote:
>> The only reason I prefer gdm3 is it gives me options on which
>> environment I want to load.  Normally I use Mate, but xdm didn't offer
>> any choice and I don't know how to change it.
>
> That's not a good reason. A good reason to use GDM3 might be
> accessibility. I guess Orca (a speech synth) does work with GDM3, if so,
> it also makes sense that the dependency chain even does include a sound
> server as hard dependency.
>
> I don't know xdm, I'm using LightDM and I guess it can be used with more
> or less the same greeters as GDM can be used. So all the options and
> flashy appearances should be available too, excepted of some very
> special things. I guess there will be no sound, IOW no Orca for LightDM,
> but regarding to this, also no hard dependency to a sound server.

Well, it was very good (IMHO) when it was gdm2, I really liked it
then.  Mostly because I could easily configure it so I didn't even see
it at all (it logged me in automatically).  And I use Gnome then also,
which at the time I liked that too.

But, the good news is I am back up and running again.  I install
lightDM (thanks for the suggestion!) which did bring me to a log in
prompt.  The first time I logged in I accepted the default, which gave
me the 'Oops, Something has gone wrong' screen again.  But the next
time I selected Mate and I'm back to my normal desktop.

All this talk about desktops has me thinking of what I will install
when I get my new system.  I really like what I think is a traditional
desktop, such as what Gnome2 gave me.  I like the idea of some of the
lightweight environments such as Blackbox or Enlightenment, but can't
get used to using them.  I did run Xfce for a while, since it's
installed (and hopefully still working) I can switch back and forth
pretty easily so will have to try it again.

Thanks again for your help,

Jon