Re: Won't complete bootup (gdm3 problem?)

On Fri, 2013-11-29 at 15:43 -0500, Jon N wrote:
> The only reason I prefer gdm3 is it gives me options on which
> environment I want to load.  Normally I use Mate, but xdm didn't offer
> any choice and I don't know how to change it.

That's not a good reason. A good reason to use GDM3 might be
accessibility. I guess Orca (a speech synth) does work with GDM3, if so,
it also makes sense that the dependency chain even does include a sound
server as hard dependency.

I don't know xdm, I'm using LightDM and I guess it can be used with more
or less the same greeters as GDM can be used. So all the options and
flashy appearances should be available too, excepted of some very
special things. I guess there will be no sound, IOW no Orca for LightDM,
but regarding to this, also no hard dependency to a sound server.