Re: Won't complete bootup (gdm3 problem?)

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-11-29 at 12:44 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> If you want to avoid GNOME then I would install either 'xdm' or
>> 'lightdm' and then install 'xfce4'.  It is much more likely to operate
>> correctly and successfully.
>
> Confirmed!
>
> LightDM + Xfce does cause less issues on all distros I tested. I try to
> replace Xfce, because it has got some weak points, but I still recommend
> Xfce and I don't know if I'll find a DE to replace it, maybe I stay with
> Xfce.
>
> GNOME3, Mate, and Cinnamon are no-gos. I suspect Enlightenment will be a
> no-go forever too, but I have given up to test it again. If you don't
> have high standards, just use a WM or Fluxbox, Ion or something that
> lightweight. I'm testing KDE4 again and I also perhaps will take a look
> at LXDE again.

Enlightenment seems a long way from the heavyweights like Gnome, Mate,
etc.  Why do you feel that is also a no-go?

> My problems with large DEs, such as GNOME and KDE is, that while all DEs
> have weak points, the heavy weight DEs like GNOME and KDE tend to make
> dependencies hard dependencies, that should be optional and they are so
> huge that it's hard to find a culprit, if something does annoy you. A
> small DE usually has more optional, than hard dependencies and if
> something is bad, it's easy to find and remove.

Funny you should mention that.  One of the things I found odd is that
when I went to upgrade gdm3 it wanted to install Evolution.  Why would
a display manager need a desktop program that does email/calendar/etc?

> An example of such a thing that annoys me is a buggy virtual file
> thingy. For Xfce it was easy to find and to remove the HDD killer. GVFS
> does wake up "green" drives again and again. The same HDD killer is used
> by GNOME, but for GNOME it's not an optional, but a hard dependency, so
> it's a little bit more work to remove it. KDE has got such a HDD killer
> too, but I still need to find it. If I should know what does kill the
> HDDs (KIO, Nepomuk or whatever else), then it might be a hard
> dependency, maybe easy, but perhaps impossible to remove.
>
> Everything with GTK/GNOME dependencies has got a huge risk to fail. GTK2
> is ok, but asking to switch to GTK3 and then the fun begins. each update
> then will be a lottery.

Thanks,
Jon