Re: Won't complete bootup (gdm3 problem?)

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Jon N wrote:
>> I know I shouldn't mess with things, I really don't know what i'm
>> doing for the most part.  But sometimes I can't resist.
>
> It is okay to mess with things as long as you learn about the system
> through the process. :-)
>
>> Now, when I boot my computer, after the Nvidia screen shows (I'm
>> running the drivers downloaded from Nvidia)
>
> (shakes head)
>
>> I get a screen with an unhappy looking computer graphic in the
>> center and below that the text:
>> "Oh no!  Something has gone wrong.
>> A problem has occurred and the system can't recover.  Please log out
>> and try again."
>
> I think that is GNOME or GDM failing.
>
>> There is a button labeled "Log Out" just below that.  Logging out and
>> back in (nor rebooting) does not help.
>
> Your computer has booted the operating system just fine.  Your system
> is running just fine.  But the GNOME desktop environment has failed to
> start.

Yes, except I haven't used Gnome since Gnome 3 came out.  But a lot of
it's components were still installed.  I also have Mate, Xfce,
Openbox, Enlightenment, and probably one or two other... uh, desktops,
window managers, etc, installed.  I've tried all of them at least
once.

> Now some people might claim that GNOME *is* the operating system.  But
> don't believe it.  It is not.  This is proven by the number of people
> that use Debian every day but do not have GNOME on the system at all.
>
>> The problem may have to do with gdm3.  When I went to upgrade it
>> yesterday it wanted to install a lot of stuff I had previously
>> uninstalled as no longer needed, so I did not upgrade it.  I installed
>> xdm instead, which worked.
>
> xdm is fine.  It is the venerable original X Display Manager that gdm
> and kdm are based upon.
>
> If you preferred a pretty one then lightdm is the same but has shiny
> styling.  I have been using it on systems with a graphical login
> manager installed.

The only reason I prefer gdm3 is it gives me options on which
environment I want to load.  Normally I use Mate, but xdm didn't offer
any choice and I don't know how to change it.  Not that i can

--
Jon