Won't complete bootup (gdm3 problem?)

I know I shouldn't mess with things, I really don't know what i'm
doing for the most part.  But sometimes I can't resist.  Now, when I
boot my computer, after the Nvidia screen shows (I'm running the
drivers downloaded from Nvidia) I get a screen with an unhappy looking
computer graphic in the center and below that the text:
"Oh no!  Something has gone wrong.
A problem has occurred and the system can't recover.  Please log out
and try again."

There is a button labeled "Log Out" just below that.  Logging out and
back in (nor rebooting) does not help.

The problem may have to do with gdm3.  When I went to upgrade it
yesterday it wanted to install a lot of stuff I had previously
uninstalled as no longer needed, so I did not upgrade it.  I installed
xdm instead, which worked.  But I don't know how to configure it and
it did not start the desktop I usually run (Mate) so decided to go
back to gdm3.  I did upgrade it (along with installing the additional
packages it required) but now I get the message above.

I booted to recovery a couple of times and tried various things.
Thinking gdm3 may not have been configured correctly I ran
'dpkg-reconfigure gdm3' and get the message "[ ok ] Scheduling reload
of GNOME Display Manager configureation: gdm3".  But it still does not
work.  I also removed xdm thinking they may conflict, but that didn't
help.  I tried dpkg configure -a in case something else was pending,
but there was no output, and I still get the same message as above
when I tried to boot to the desktop.  And, finally, after some more
head scratching I ran 'apt-get install gnome', thinking that I was
missing something related to the Gnome environment.  Although it
installed a lot of stuff (47 packages, I think), it still stops at the
same message as above.

Other than reinstalling everything from scratch, can anyone offer any
suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Jon