Re: Won't complete bootup (gdm3 problem?)

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 16:45:53 -0500
Jon N <jdnandroid@gmail.com> wrote:

> All this talk about desktops has me thinking of what I will install
> when I get my new system.  I really like what I think is a traditional
> desktop, such as what Gnome2 gave me.  I like the idea of some of the
> lightweight environments such as Blackbox or Enlightenment, but can't
> get used to using them.  I did run Xfce for a while, since it's
> installed (and hopefully still working) I can switch back and forth
> pretty easily so will have to try it again.

The other 'medium-weight' DE to Xfce is LXDE/Openbox, which I slightly
prefer, but which has been a little flaky of late, though that is on
sid. I need to shut down from a terminal, as lxsession currently throws
a GTK exception at a shutdown attempt.

It's also a bit of a pain to make the Debian menu tree work in LXDE, but
many people aren't bothered about that. I have it working on my
desktop, but I can't seem to get it on another sid LXDE installation,
and I can't for the life of me see what is different about it. But I
came from Gnome2, and LXDE feels more comfortable than Xfce.

--
Joe