Re: XFCE without GNOME/KDE parts (Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1)

Le 23.10.2013 19:33, recoverym4n@gmail.com a écrit :
Hi.

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 11:15:34 +0200
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

Don't you have gstreamer installer?

Only that thing as a recommended dependency to webkit-gtk:

$ dpkg -l gstream* | grep ii
ii  gstreamer0.10-plugins-base:amd64

Not that I need gstreamer. Once upon a time some kind soul told me
about mplayer, and since then it's the only thing I ever use for video.
sox and mpd play all audio I ever need to play.

I simply agree with everything you said here, but unfortunately, opera depends on gstreamer0.10-plugins-good, which in turn...

I am interested in how to remove gconf2 and all it's family from my
system, since I do not understand why I need a configuration system for
stuff which is only used to play things in my web-browsers... which
anyway needs flash-player to really play stuff. (it's not the only
dependency I would like to remove, but it would be a good start. There
also tons of dependency for libsdl which do not seems to make lot of
sense)

The way I see it, these guys (Maintainers of GStreamer packages)
thought it is a good idea that gstreamer should depend on gconf (there
was some bug about it, but I forgot the number).
Next, they split gconf dependency to gstreamer0.10-gconf … only to make
said package a dependency to gstreamer0.10-plugins-base.

As for removing that stuff, there's a neat trick I currently use:

$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: libdconf0
Pin: release n=wheezy
Pin-priority: -1

Package: libgconf2-4
Pin: release n=wheezy
Pin-priority: -1

By itself, it doesn't magically remove all that depends on that
libraries, but prevents installing them.

When I install packages I take a lot of care to their dependencies and recommendations. This trick can be useful when you do not have time to spend in knowing on what you depend and why, but I have this time :)

I really take a lot of care when I install a new software, and avoid bloated ones when it is possible. Excepted for the web browser, I am quite successful in that heroic quest. But web browsers still beat me, I can not found anyone which is stable, fast enough and not bloated. I tried lot of them, without success.

And gconf is not a 'configuration system'. To quote these ppl
themselves (see /usr/share/doc/libgconf2-4/README):

GConf is a configuration database system, functionally similar to the
Windows registry but lots better.

What is the difference between a "configuration system" and a "configuration database system", excepted that the second one uses a database (which are tools made to handle lot of data and not configurations, as the name shows: data base, not configuration base btw) ?

That alone IMO should be the reason do not install that thing ever.

+1.
The only pseudo advantage it have it that there is daemon able to inform applications that the UI theme has changed. But since people do not change their themes everyday, that's just useless. Instant apply, they say.. tsss.