Re: XFCE without GNOME/KDE parts (Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1)

 Hi.

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 11:15:34 +0200
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Don't you have gstreamer installer?

Only that thing as a recommended dependency to webkit-gtk:

$ dpkg -l gstream* | grep ii
ii  gstreamer0.10-plugins-base:amd64

Not that I need gstreamer. Once upon a time some kind soul told me
about mplayer, and since then it's the only thing I ever use for video.
sox and mpd play all audio I ever need to play.

> I am interested in how to remove gconf2 and all it's family from my
> system, since I do not understand why I need a configuration system for
> stuff which is only used to play things in my web-browsers... which
> anyway needs flash-player to really play stuff. (it's not the only
> dependency I would like to remove, but it would be a good start. There
> also tons of dependency for libsdl which do not seems to make lot of
> sense)

The way I see it, these guys (Maintainers of GStreamer packages)
thought it is a good idea that gstreamer should depend on gconf (there
was some bug about it, but I forgot the number).
Next, they split gconf dependency to gstreamer0.10-gconf … only to make
said package a dependency to gstreamer0.10-plugins-base.

As for removing that stuff, there's a neat trick I currently use:

$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: libdconf0
Pin: release n=wheezy
Pin-priority: -1

Package: libgconf2-4
Pin: release n=wheezy
Pin-priority: -1

By itself, it doesn't magically remove all that depends on that
libraries, but prevents installing them.

And gconf is not a 'configuration system'. To quote these ppl
themselves (see /usr/share/doc/libgconf2-4/README):

GConf is a configuration database system, functionally similar to the
Windows registry but lots better.

That alone IMO should be the reason do not install that thing ever.

Reco