Re: XFCE without GNOME/KDE parts (Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1)

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 19:50:40 +0200
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> I simply agree with everything you said here, but unfortunately, opera
> depends on gstreamer0.10-plugins-good, which in turn...

If you really don't need these libraries, there's a way.
Check opera binary with ldd.
If you see that it is linked with gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
libraries, you're out of luck.
Now, if they don't (i.e they use dlopen(3) instead of compile-time
linking) - just use equivs to make a fake gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
package, install it, and you're set.

Repeat the process once Jessie becomes stable.

> What is the difference between a "configuration system" and a
> "configuration database system", excepted that the second one uses a
> database (which are tools made to handle lot of data and not
> configurations, as the name shows: data base, not configuration base
> btw) ?

You're both right and wrong IMO.
You're right, as there's no noticeable difference between a
'configuration system' and a 'configuration database' both to a user
(they're given tools) and for a developer (they're given API).
You're wrong by defining a database as something that handles a lot of
data.
For example, /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group are their own
database of users and groups (see getent(1)) with a real primary key -
foreign key dependencies along each other. This database even has some
utilities to work with it (useradd, usermod, passwd to name a few).

And you've picked the wrong part of the quote. It's the 'functionally
similar to the Windows registry' part which makes me feel uneasy :)

Reco