Re: grub warning when updating

Guy Marcenac wrote:
> Guy Marcenac a écrit :
> > Bob Proulx a écrit :
> > > Is there any reason you would not want to install grub to /dev/sda?
> > Is there ?

It is your system.  Therefore it is impossible for us to know.
It is unusual to install to a partition.  Therefore the implication is
that there must be unusual circumstances that need it.  :-)

Perhaps you had been dual booting and needed to preserve a 3rd party
boot loader?  People only very rarely tell the mailing list all of the
critical information.  Usually we need to extract it by playing twenty
questions.

> > I am always dreadful of overlapping a partition :(

Looking at your partition table:

> > Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> > /dev/sda1   *        4096    20975616    10485760+  83  Linux

It shows that the start of the first partition is at 4096.  Recent
installations start at 2048 leaving 1M of space there.  (Older
installations would start at 63 and were not aligned for Advanced
Format drives with 4k sectors.)  Your shows 4096 giving 2M of space
available there.

For example here is from one of my machines:

  /dev/sda1            2048      999423      498688   fd  Linux raid autodetect

Your data shows that you have twice as much space there.

> > > If that is the decision the select *only* that one location, unselect
> > > any other locations, and proceed.
>
> After lots of reading about grub and the boot gap, I eventualy did it.
> Works fine
> Thanks for your help

Good deal!  Glad to hear you are all fixed up now.

Bob