Re: Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1

On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 07:29 -0400, Sureyya Sahin wrote:
> On 21/10/13 06:01 AM, Curt wrote:
> > On 2013-10-21, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> The OP mentioned that using Suse there are no issues.
> >> The OP mentioned that using Debian there are issues.
> >> We don't know what does cause the issue.
> >
> > We may never know.
> >

> >> We try to troubleshoot by checking what software might or might not
> >> cause the issue.
> >
> > Well, so far, following your instructions, he has removed gvfs, but the
> > man hasn't said what effect, if any, that had on the random clicking
> > syndrome he's experiencing; rather he began worrying about how
> > he was going to mount external devices in the future.
> >
> >> Manipulating the hardware during this process is counterproductive.
> >
> > We already agreed on this point (well, that hardware manipulation was a
> > last resort if the problem couldn't be resolved by the "software removal
> > method").
> >
> >> "so I'll remove the cause.../ [chuckles] but not the symptom"
> >> - Dr. Frank N. Furter
> >>
> >> Manipulating the HDD might remove the symptom, but not the cause and in
> >> this case we really want to know the cause, to repair it and get rid of
> >> the symptom too.
> >>

> > I defer to your respected opinion, Herr Doctor Mardorf. Let us hope
> > together that surgery will prove to be unnecessary in this case.
> >

> I should first summarize again my system:
>
> Model: HP Pavilion dm1 3240ca
> Hard disk: SAMSUNG SpinPoint M7E (AFT), I took this info from gsmartcontrol
>
> I guess these are the relevant parts to the discussion. After the
> purchase, I had briefly read the document. I do not remember perfectly
> but it was saying that my hard disk has shock protection, it would stop
> in case I drop it or apply sudden shocks. Unfortunately, I cannot quote
> it exactly because I throw the brief manual to the garbage.
>
> The reason I consider playing with HDParm value is the article Curt
> sent. To my understanding, the article says that if I hear the click, my
> hard disc either has shock protection system or is about to die. I
> bought this laptop about 2 years ago and I don't believe that my hard
> disk is old and about to die. So the other scenario seems logical to me.
>
> But again, I am not computer literate and definitely not a linux expert.
> Thus, there is a chance that I am wrong.
>
> Just to everyone's knowledge; this laptop is doing well with the
> following distros (at least I didn't hear any clicks when I was using them):
>
> * Opensuse
> * Fedora
> * Manjaro
>
> Among the three, I doubt that Fedora cared about customizing HDParm to
> spin down my hard disk. Fedora is known to be an upstream distro not an
> optimized one. I have serious doubts about Manjaro as well. I don't want
> to use both Fedora and Manjaro as production machines anyway in case I
> fail to address my problem with Debian.
>
> The only choice left is OpenSUSE, which is known for attention to detail
> [...]

Take a look if Suse by default does use hdparm for this purpose. I doubt
this! There for sure is a reason that the HD's default is as it is.

The distros that do cause the issue on your machine has to be informed
about it. If nobody expiring this issue does report it to the distro's
bug tracker, they can't fix it.