Re: Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1

On 2013-10-21, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> The OP mentioned that using Suse there are no issues.
> The OP mentioned that using Debian there are issues.
> We don't know what does cause the issue.

We may never know.

> We try to troubleshoot by checking what software might or might not
> cause the issue.

Well, so far, following your instructions, he has removed gvfs, but the
man hasn't said what effect, if any, that had on the random clicking
syndrome he's experiencing; rather he began worrying about how
he was going to mount external devices in the future.

> Manipulating the hardware during this process is counterproductive.

We already agreed on this point (well, that hardware manipulation was a
last resort if the problem couldn't be resolved by the "software removal
method").

> "so I'll remove the cause.../ [chuckles] but not the symptom"
> - Dr. Frank N. Furter
>
> Manipulating the HDD might remove the symptom, but not the cause and in
> this case we really want to know the cause, to repair it and get rid of
> the symptom too.

I defer to your respected opinion, Herr Doctor Mardorf. Let us hope
together that surgery will prove to be unnecessary in this case.