Re: Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1

On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 09:07 +0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2013-10-21, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> >
> > Sureyya Sahin wrote:
> >> Just to update, the hdparm command gives me:
> >> 	Advanced power management level: 254
> >> I guess the value would be 254. I will try to set it permanently if I can.
> >
> > Set it permanently to 254?  Or to something different?
>
> My understanding is that he executed the command
>
> hdparm -I /dev/whatever
>
> and he got back an apm level of 254, which is what the device has
> defaulted to without any intervention on his part.

The OP mentioned that using Suse there are no issues.
The OP mentioned that using Debian there are issues.
We don't know what does cause the issue.
We try to troubleshoot by checking what software might or might not
cause the issue.
Manipulating the hardware during this process is counterproductive.

"so I'll remove the cause.../ [chuckles] but not the symptom"
- Dr. Frank N. Furter

Manipulating the HDD might remove the symptom, but not the cause and in
this case we really want to know the cause, to repair it and get rid of
the symptom too.