Re: Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1

On 20/10/13 02:59 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sun, 2013-10-20 at 14:39 -0400, Sureyya Sahin wrote:
I will try to compile hamster and qalculate from sources. If I can't,
probably I will reinstall them as well.

You don't need to compile them, you can install the binaries.

Given that I won't be able to use usb devices from gui, is there an
alternative to Thunar that I can use to mount and use my devices? I
have plenty of space in my root directory. Thus, I wouldn't mind using
extra software which would make life easier for me.

I guess there is, but I don't know it. You likely can do it using udev
or something similar, but I never wrote an udev rule myself.

I'm using scripts:

#!/bin/sh

# /usr/local/sbin/lmount

case $1 in
       -r|-w) mkdir -p /mnt/$2
              if [ -e "/media/$2" ] ; then :
              else
                ln -s /mnt/$2 /media/$2
              fi
              case $1 in
                -r) mount -rL$2 /mnt/$2;;
                -w) mount -wL$2 /mnt/$2 -o noatime;;
              esac ;;
          -u) umount "$(blkid -L$2)"
              rm /media/$2; rmdir /mnt/$2;;
   --help|-h) echo
              echo "Usage of /usr/local/sbin/lmount"
              echo
              echo "mount read-only"
              echo "  lmount -r <label>"
              echo "mount read/write noatime"
              echo "  lmount -w <label>"
              echo "unmount"
              echo "  lmount -u <label>"
              echo ;;
esac
exit

#!/bin/bash

# /usr/local/sbin/mount.o
mkdir -p                 /media/optical
chown    root:optical    /media/optical
mount -t auto /dev/cdrom /media/optical
exit

#!/bin/bash

# /usr/local/sbin/umount.o
umount /dev/cdrom
rmdir /media/optical
exit

#!/bin/sh
# /usr/local/bin/llmount
exec sudo lmount $*

#!/bin/sh

# /usr/local/bin/tmount

case $1 in
   --help|-h) echo
              echo "Usage of /usr/local/bin/tmount"
              echo
              echo "mount read-only"
              echo "  tmount -r <label>"
              echo "mount read/write noatime"
              echo "  tmount -w <label>"
              echo "unmount"
              echo "  tmount -u <label>"
              echo; exit;;
          -u) gksudo "lmount $*";;
           *) gksudo "lmount $*"; thunar /mnt/$2; gksudo "lmount -u $2";;
esac
exit

No script for USB yet.

I am occasionally using usb devices like external dvd, usb sticks, hard disks. I will see if I can work with them with just scripts and if I can't, I will try to find alternative software to Thunar. There are a few that I found including tuxcommander, emelFM2, and Rodent. But none of them are in Debian repositories, I will probably compile them from source...