Re: Building computer

On 9/27/2013 6:03 AM, Joel Rees wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> How likely is one to find a kernel developer doing any real work on a
>>> laptop?  Throwing a netbook into the question is just silly.
>
> The reason I ask, Stan, is that I'm preparing to take a class where
> I'll be studying Super H assembly language programming, writing device
> drivers for an embedded SH3 running a Linux kernel, and such.

I read everything below but my reply will be brief, so going up top with
it.  Performance options with portables is always limited due to power.
 A few quick points:

1.  If you're going to be compiling anything, cache size trumps clock
speed.  If a smaller cache roughly equivalent CPU clocks more than ~30%
higher than big_cache CPU it becomes a horse race.

2.  Do not use an in-order CPU, such as the Atom, regardless of clock
speed.  The lack of branch prediction, rename registers, etc, will
hamstring a compiler.

3.  If you're running a hypervisor, low level support such as AMD-V or
Intel VT will help.