Security? (was ... Re: Code Of Conduct (was ... Re: Security?))

On Mon, 2013-09-23 at 13:43 +0100, Brian wrote:
> [Extensive, selective snipping of the original post has taken place.
> This mail will also be my one and only one on this topic].
>

> On Mon 23 Sep 2013 at 12:47:52 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > It also would be nice to be professional . . . . .
>
> On Sunday 8th Sept 2013 at 11:27:36 -0700 latinfo@vcn.bc.ca popped into
> debian-user and asked for an opinion on an article published on a
> non-Debian website. He promptly disappeared and has not been heard from
> since. Meanwhile, the discussion developed along predictable lines.
>
> Early on in it a concerned user suggested
>
>    Maybe this discussion would best be taken to the Off Topic list? ;)
>
> One of the major participants in the thread replied
>
>    Or we simply finish the discussion.
>
> Neither course of action was followed and there are now 60+ follow-up
> mails, the vast majority of which would be considered off-topic for this
> list.
>
> When a second concerned user said
>
>   Just keep your posts about Debian, useful to the user community,
>   and keep it professional.
>
> and was credited with abusive behaviour, you know it is time for an end.

IMO the "Security?" thread became interesting by links to Lavabit and
Schneier.

I'm subscribed to
and in the past I often encouraged people to use this list too.

Don't blame me, blame all the people who like this thread.

Note: Now I just Cc'ed to debian-user@lists.debian.org , any replies
should go to d-community-offtopic@lists.alioth.debian.org .