Backing up via rsync (was Re: How to get rid of an entry in grub?)

Jeff Bauer grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> On 08/31/2013 12:23 PM, David Guntner wrote:
>> I've been using it as a sort of backup type of partition, mounted as
>> /backup (until I have time to install backuppc and get it all
>> configured; I've just been doing an rsync to the drive). Since I was
>> backing up *everything*, I suppose there's a possibility that it saw
>> /backup/boot/[...] and acted on it, thought that seems an odd behavior
>> to me. I'm running the rsync again right now; when it completes I'll
>> run update-grub again and see if it mysteriously adds the extra entry
>> again. Then we'll know for sure. --Dave
>
> My backup regime uses "rsync -avz"  as its backbone. Anything I don't
> want backed up, I address with the "--exclude-from=" option in my backup
> script, and the "rsync.exclude" file in my user home dir.

Yea.  It was primarily a way to back everything up prior to the
squeeze-to-wheezy upgrade as a Just In Case.  I've got:

> rsync -auv --exclude-from=$HOME/backup-exclude.txt --delete --delete-excluded / /backup

for what I'm doing.  I know that "z" compresses, but I thought that it
was only useful for when doing a network transfer to compress the data
and thus reduce bandwidth.  Does it actually result in the output file
at the other end being stored in a compressed state?

               --Dave