Re: How to get rid of an entry in grub?

On Fri 30 Aug 2013 at 18:10:00 -0700, David Guntner wrote:

> Joe Pfeiffer grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> >
> > The command to do it was
> >
> > $sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx bs=446 count=1
>
> Seems like a good idea.  I tried it, but it doesn't look like it worked:

Doomed to failure. os-prober doesn't consult the MBR; the referenced
README is there to consult for what it does do.

It would do no harm for your MBR on /dev/sda to be in a shipshape
condition as far as GRUB is concerned:

   grub-install /dev/sda

Then a few checks with the following commands:

   os-prober

   linux-boot-prober /dev/sdb1

   /etc/grub'd/30_os-prober

> Grub still seems to think there's Linux on /dev/sdb1.  That's
> aggravating......  I guess I'll just try moving the stuff off of the one
> and only partition on that drive to somewhere else temporarily, and then
> delete the partition outright and recreate it.  Maybe *THAT* will
> finally do it!

Maybe; then you put the data back. Before carrying out this technique you
could have a look for files such as /etc, /boot, debian_version, vmlinuz
and initrd.img.

Were you curious enough to try to boot "Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux
3.2.0-4-amd64 (on /dev/sdb1)"?