Re: How to get rid of an entry in grub?

On Sat 31 Aug 2013 at 09:23:40 -0700, David Guntner wrote:

> Well, too late on "before you try that," but I had looked at the
> partition.  None of those files existed on that drive (or partition).
>
> I've been using it as a sort of backup type of partition, mounted as
> /backup (until I have time to install backuppc and get it all
> configured; I've just been doing an rsync to the drive).  Since I was
> backing up *everything*, I suppose there's a possibility that it saw
> /backup/boot/[...] and acted on it, thought that seems an odd behavior

os-prober mounts the partition. Since you backed up everything surely it
will see /boot, /boot/grub /etc etc. In an earlier mail you had

 > Found Debian GNU/Linux (6.0.7) on /dev/sdb1

The only way for that line to be generated is for an /etc/debian_version
file to be found on the partition. Please see

   /usr/lib/os-probes/mounted/90linux-distro

> to me.  I'm running the rsync again right now; when it completes I'll
> run update-grub again and see if it mysteriously adds the extra entry
> again.  Then we'll know for sure.

Why would it be mysterious?