Re: How to get rid of an entry in grub?

David Guntner <david@guntner.com> writes:

> Hugo Vanwoerkom grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
>> David Guntner wrote:
>>> Hmmm.....  I wonder if the MBR for the drive sill has a loader on it,
>>> even though I removed all partitions and repartitioned it?  Is there a
>>> utility out there that can wipe the MBR of a drive without touching the
>>> rest of the contents?
>>
>> There is http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/ also.
>
> Ok, I got that, thanks.  Ran it and it does look like there's a remnant
> of the old 6.0 system that lived on that drive at one time.
>
> So, how to *wipe* the MBR for that drive without losing everything on
> it? :-)  Is there a way?
>
> 'Cause face it, if I get rid of the boot record on the drive, grub won't
> see it anymore even without my disabling the probe script. :-)

That is the cleanest way to do it!

Looking around a bit, I found the following:

The command to do it was

$sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx bs=446 count=1

Something the poster didn't emphasize strongly enough (IMHO) is that
he's only wiping the first 446 bytes of the MBR -- this leaves the
partition table alone.