Re: administration of initscripts

>> file-rc "works", but only just.  I would not be surprised if it was
>> removed for the next stable release--it's simply incompatible with
>> dependency-based booting.

That's a shame, I would take direct editing of runlevel.conf over
dependency-based booting myself.

>> When you are using dynamic ordering, file-rc
>> is just the same as sysv-rc except you have no parallelisation of
>> boot scripts,

parallelisation is the last thing that I want with multiple downsides.
What's the gain, to save two seconds when I can save 20 by swapping kde
for fvwm or xfce and more than 2 seconds by editing the bios.

> But I've not come across a need
> for altering the default runlevels (or using runlevels other than 1 and
> 2) at runtime in over 15 years of using Debian.  If there are any
> genuinely useful use cases for them, I'd be interested to hear what
> they are, since generally most people ignore them entirely.

Same here, I setup systems to do a job and a runlevel to fix that job if
need be.

OpenBSD has just two runlevels and the simplicity and usability of it's
rc system is one of my favourite things about it.

Lets not pollute this useful thread with systemd but I will say it would
be the absolute last on my list and actually systemd itself is
incomptible with BSD not just udev and from my experience would be
laughed out of the room by BSD devs even if it was POSIX compliant.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)