Re: debian-6.0.7-amd64 how to set resolution and refresh for free NVIDIA X drivers?

On Thu 11 Apr 2013 at 21:27:13 -0700, David Christensen wrote:

> On 04/10/13 17:10, Brian wrote:
> >First test the display resolution you want to have as described by
> >Benjamin.
>
> I run it at 1600x1200 at 85 Hz, or thereabouts.

You might want to do that but the manual for the Asus M2NPV-VM indicates
the motherboard and graphics chipset will not co-operate with you. Can
you see why?

And how about the results of the recommended testing method? If it fails
to produce a resolution you want then it is pointless trying to do the
same thing in xorg.conf.

This might save you some work cutting and pasting:

1. MODELINE=$(cvt 1600 1200 75 | grep Modeline | cut -d'"' -f3)

2. echo $MODELINE

3. xrandr --output "VGA-1" --newmode "1600x1200" $MODELINE

4. xrandr --addmode "VGA-1" "1600x1200"

5. xrandr --outpt "VGA-1" --mode "1600x1200"

Changing the cvt options is also a route to hours of endless fun. Be
adventurous and try '1280 1024 60'.

> >If it works you can use my xorg.conf as a basis to write yours:
>
> I tried my hand at writing the simplest xorg.conf I could -- every
> time the screen turned black and I was effectively locked out.
> (Apparently, Ctrl+Alt+Backspace no longer kills X servers, nor does
> any of the other keystrokes I tried; nor could I switch to another
> console.  I don't have or want sshd, so push the reset button...)
>
> Then I tried starting X with an empty xorg.conf:
>
>     root@a64x23800p:~# touch /etc/X11/xorg.conf.empty
>     root@a64x23800p:~# X -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf.empty

This muddies the waters. The second command is suspect.

> Same result.  Please see xorg.conf.empty-typescript and
> xorg.conf.empty-Xorg.0.log at URL, below.

I did. Sorry, but I'm not wading through disorganised text. It would be
much better to compress the logs with bzip2 or, for more compression,
xz, attach to a mail and send to the list.

> When I boot the machine without any xorg.conf, X comes up at
> 1024x768 @ 60 Hz.  Please see no.xorg.conf-Xorg.0.log, at URL below.

We know why that happens. Neither xorg nor nouveau are at fault.

> If X pukes on an empty xorg.conf, I don't know how I'm going to
> provide my monitor and screen settings to X.

I reckon anybody could have trouble trying to start X in the way you
have.