Problem with xz on very small system

I have a PcEngines WRAP board, which has 64MB of memory and a CF disk.

I normally do not need to run anything on this that requires a lot of

memory and so I do not have any swap defined.

When I try to upgrade traceroute, dmidecode, file and libmagic1 to the

current version on sid I get an error saying that lzma can not allocate

memory. For traceroute the error I get is:-

Unpacking replacement traceroute ...

dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: lzma error: Cannot allocate memory

dpkg-deb: error: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2

I found that I can set the memlimit on xz (and therefore lzma I believe)

by prefixing the apt-get dist-upgrade with XZ_DEFAULTS=--memlimit=1MiB

(yes I know thats not a lot, but these files are very small and there

is only 19M free memory according to /proc/meminfo), but that does not

fix the problem.

I could remove the CF card and attach it to my laptop and run apt-get

update inside a chroot, but I only have that option because my laptop and

the Wrap card are both x86 architecture - I also have other boards which

are MIPS and ARM based and I am worried I might hit the same problem on them

and I do not have a MIPS or ARM laptop/desktop/server to use.

Any ideas?

David