Re: debian-6.0.7-amd64 how to set resolution and refresh for free NVIDIA X drivers?

On 04/12/13 06:35, Brian wrote:
You might want to do that but the manual for the Asus M2NPV-VM indicates
the motherboard and graphics chipset will not co-operate with you. Can
you see why?

"Manuals? We don't need no stinkin' manuals!" The first thing I do when I open the box is grab the motherboard (after rubbing my feet on the carpet). Then, I throw away the box and everything else that came with it. ;-)

You are welcome to come over to my house (Tracy, California) and witness:

1.  1600x1200 @ 85 Hz on Windows XP SP3.

2. 1600x1200 @ 85 Hz on Debian Squeeze using an NVIDIA proprietary driver. Here is its xorg.conf FWIW:

http://holgerdanske.com/users/dpchrist/bug-reports/debian/squeeze/amd64/X/a64x23800p/20110227-215027/xorg.conf-NVIDIA

And how about the results of the recommended testing method?  ... hours of endless fun.

xorg.conf has worked for me for more years than I can remember. It continues to work for me on systems with Intel graphics.

(Personal note: there's a hint in the previous sentence.)

Sorry, but I'm not wading through disorganised text.

What?! You're missing out on an opportunity for "hours of endless fun"! ;-)

When Wheezy becomes "stable" I'll see if that works OOTB.

Thank you, all.  :-)

David