Re: [OT] Mails coming from "joe1assistly@gmail.com"

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 03:54:21PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> >> I've never used Leafnode before. Is a NNTP server, right?
> >>
> >> Let me take a look:
> >>
> >> http://leafnode.sourceforge.net/overview.shtml
>
> (...)
>
> > Thanks, but I do already know how to run leafnode -- been doing that
> > with news.individual.net for a few years.
>
> So then? I already say how I read/post to this list and don't remember
> mentioning leafnode at all :-)
>
> > Just wondered if that's what you were using for gmane, sorry if I wasn't
> > clear.
>
> Nope, I use Pan (a newsreader client) to read/post here using Gmane, like
> if I were using a standard MUA.

Ah well, please excuse me and (as Emily Litella used to say) never mind
then. I thought you'd mentioned something about running a newsserver, and
so I wondered if it was leafnode. Perhaps I misunderstood. I know you
use Pan, but leafnode is newsreader agnostic.

> > Anyway, I think sticking with the straight list is probably fine
> > for me at this point. It's always good to have alternative options if
> > needed, but gmane seems a bit of a kludge to me frankly, and now there's
> > that shadow of doubt cast by this whole "joelassistly" thing... (Though
> > it may have nothing to do with gmane, but IDK).
>
> IMO, Gmane is one of the better/useful things there's now in the web, I
> don't know why you speak about it in that way. Anyway, I'm afraid you
> haven't understood what's going on with that "joe1..." posts :-/

Frankly, it doesn't appear anyone fully understands it, that was my
point. My poor mother (who of course is even more old and feeble than
I) is always falling for questionable things she finds on the internet,
and downloading glitzy, cutesy things to decorate her emails, and sending
those "e-greeting cards". Her laptop has to be wiped and reinstalled almost
every other month. Since I can't convince her to stop it, I have
a collection of about 60 mail filters to cover all the crap I get because
of her (not from her). This has made me wary...

So I meant no offense, but my motto in such matters is "caveat utilitor".
("let the user beware") You can continue to be the guinea pig (so to
speak); I'm the old lady in the white lab coat waiting to see what happens.
:)
--
 Indulekha