Re: [OT] Mails coming from "joe1assistly@gmail.com"

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 02:50:38PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 01 May 2012 13:01:57 -0500, Indulekha wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 05:39:15PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> >>
> >> Blame your mail2news gateway provider then. I don't experience that
> >> problem with Gmane :-)
> >>
> >> Gmane also does a good job when it comes to block the spam it reaches
> >> the lists. Oh, oh... now I feel like a "human-advertising" :-P
> >>

> > Yes, it's having an effect...
> > So, do you run leafnode and point it at nntp://news.gmane.org then?
>
> I've never used Leafnode before. Is a NNTP server, right?
>
> Let me take a look:
>
> http://leafnode.sourceforge.net/overview.shtml
>
> Okay, you will have to configure it to fetch the news messages from Gmane
> servers and only for the selected groups (not the whole tree) so you can
> read the articles locally. For the exact steps, I can't tell, but there
> must be some samples on how to proceed at the docs:
>
> /usr/share/doc/leafnode/examples/*
> /usr/share/doc/leafnode/README.Debian

Thanks, but I do already know how to run leafnode -- been doing that with
news.individual.net for a few years.
Just wondered if that's what you were using for gmane, sorry if I wasn't
clear. Anyway, I think sticking with the straight list is probably fine
for me at this point. It's always good to have alternative options if
needed, but gmane seems a bit of a kludge to me frankly, and now there's
that shadow of doubt cast by this whole "joelassistly" thing...
(Though it may have nothing to do with gmane, but IDK).

--
 Indulekha