Re: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com> writes:

> I know I can go to the menu in terminal under.....Terminal-->Reset and
> Clear and it will just give me a terminal window with a blinking
> cursor.

Yeah remember msods; IIRC there was the "clear" command to clear the
screen (or was that "cls"?).  You can also type that in the
terminal. Reset is something you sometimes need when unprintable
characters or something like that was displayed and has messed up the
display of the terminal.  You can also type that as well.  MOTT it works
and resets the terminal so things can be displayed correctly again.

> But the fact is I'm not logged in as 'root'.

You don't need to be logged in as root.  You're not supposed to be
logged in as root.

> I read doing so can compromise your system.

Yes, that's because root can do anything, and so-called desktop
environments (like gnome and KDE) tend to run all kinds of stuff (much
of which we don't need or want) that may do all kinds of stuff we don't
know about (in the background) which makes it easier for everything to
go wrong, and when you're root, nothing protects you because root can do
anything.  So everything goes wrong eventually when you log into the GUI
as root, and you don't want that to happen.

> Also read that after the initial install of
> Debian, the user can't log into root. The user has to configure the
> system to log-into root.
>
> What next please?

I guess you need to be root to configure the system to log into the GUI
as root.  You shouldn't do that.

> Okay but I need to log-into root.

That's what "su - root" does for you.  It lets you become root just as
if you had logged in as root, but only in the terminal session in which
you have become root and not anywhere else.

See also: http://www.diablotin.com/librairie/networking/puis/ch04_03.htm

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch