Re: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Sat 13 Oct 2012 at 12:15:25 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:

> I only have one shot to get this right or else I have to scrub the
> install and start over.

Please, no! No more installing from you. We are exhausted. :)

>                         Here is what the new screen is asking:
>
> ***** BEGIN *****
> You need to make the newly installed system bootable, by installing
> the GRUB boot loader on a bootable device.
>
> The usual way to do this is to install GRUB on the master boot record
> of your first hard drive.

You do not want this.

> If you prefer, you can install GRUB elsewhere on the drive, or to
> another drive, or even to a floppy.

You are going to take the 'other drive' route.

> The device can be specified using GRUB's "(hdn,m)" notation, or as a
> device in /dev. Below are some examples:

It doesn't matter whether you use GRUB's notation or the device way.

> I only have one shot at getting this correct. My 2nd hard drive (that
> contains Debian) is installed on /dev/sdb and the first partition on
> that drive is /boot .
>
> My Debian hard drive (sdb) is partitioned in the following order:
>
> /boot
> Swap
> /
> /var
> /usr
> /temp
> /home
>
> Should I simply type   hd1,1   OR   /dev/sdb   in the above box and
> that should install GRUB to the first /boot partition on the 2nd
> drive? I want to be sure GRUB gets installed into that first partition
> (/boot) on drive /dev/sdb. hd,1,1 seems more accurate than /dev/sdb.

Type '/dev/sdb'. Without the quotes. Here is what roughly happens:

Some of GRUB goes in to the MBR.

Some of GRUB is put after the MBR but before the partitions. This is
known as the embedding area.

GRUB writes a load of files (including grub.cfg) to /boot/grub. It is of
no importance or concern that /boot is on a separate partition because
GRUB will find it.

> After installation is complete, I will go into my BIOS and change the
> first boot device to "sdb" (or as BIOS calls it HDD1). I tested this
> BIOS adjustment a few days ago and the procedure worked fine using two
> other drives as a test.

We await your announcement of 'success'.

P.S. It is (hd1,1). You really do not want to do put GRUB there. It is
     not the same as /dev/sdb. Honest.