Re: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Mon 15 Oct 2012 at 14:59:21 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:

> My system won't let me log in as root.

It will - you are just not talking to it nicely. And not acting on the
good advice given already.

Lisi has the advice to use CTRL-ALT-F1. This will take you to a virtual
terminal. Type "root" at the prompt and give the root password you set
up during the install.

> I'm just learning to navigate the desktop. Where do I type
> update-grub? I understand that Linux distro's utilize what's called a
> "terminal". I believe I found the terminal under..... Applications-->
> Accessories--> Terminal. Is this correct or is there another location
> please?
>
> If it is the correct location, then as soon as the terminal opens, I'm
> presented with:
>
> [my-name]@[network-computer-name]:~$ (blinking cursor)
>
> I know I can go to the menu in terminal under.....Terminal-->Reset and
> Clear and it will just give me a terminal window with a blinking
> cursor.

The "$" tells you you an ordinary user. No special privileges. You can
destroy anything in your home directory but the system files are safe
and inviolable. Which is as nature intended,

At that blinking cursor type

   whoami

and press enter. There you are, the answer is you are a nobody. Good
enough to use the system but definitely not a user with any power or
influence.

Now type

   man su

and, at the very least, read the first two sentences in the DESCRIPTION
section.

Now type

   su

and give the root password.

Type 'whoami' again. You have now assumed the identity of the superuser,
which is root's Sunday name. Want to wipe out a few accounts of users
you dislike, or read their mail? Want to cripple the system? You are set
up to do it.

But you won't. You are responsible. Logging in as the superuser from a
virtual terminal or changing your identity is only ever done to
administrate the machine: update packages, install new packages, edit a
system file, etc.

> What next please?

Try not to make any mistakes as root.