Re: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com> writes:

> For example, when I read helpful suggestions such as:
>
> Type this
>
> 1 | su root
> 2 | gedit
>
> I don't understand. What is the 1 and the 2 for? Do I have to type
> that in as well?

No, don't type the numbers, you'll probably be told "command not found"
:)

It's very much like MSDOS.  Only the commands are different ones, like
you have "ls" instead of "dir".

You need to learn about the "man" command. Just enter

man su

in a terminal and enjoy the read.  That works for most of the commands
(try "man ls" and be surprised).

> And I still haven't discovered if I have to clear out
> the cryptic message that appears in terminal when I open it before
> typing anything. please.

What does the message say?

As to logging in as root: The problem is that when you boot Linux, the
GUI starts up as well (which is bad) and prevents you from logging in as
root (which is good).  That is because you installed more than a minimal
system.  The GUI is optional, and I wouldn't rely on it because it
doesn't always work and is not always available.

Now you need to know about consoles.  If your keyboard configuration
works correctly, you can switch from the GUI to a console by pressing
Ctrl+Alt+F1.  That gives you a black screen with a "login:" prompt.  You
can log in as root or as a "normal" user there.  First enter the user
name (or "root") and then the password.

There are several consoles, by default from F1 to F6.  You can use any
or all of them and switch between them as much as you want by pressing
Alt+Fn.  You can log in as a different or the same user on each of them.

You can switch back to the GUI by pressing Alt+F7 and from the GUI to a
console again with Ctrl+Alt+Fn.

Now switch to a console and log in as root.  Then enter:

aptitude install emacs

That will install emacs (unless it's not already installed), which is an
editor.  Once emacs has been installed, log out as root and log in as
"normal" user on the console.  Then enter

emacs

and learn how to use emacs in a basic way so you can load, edit and save
files.  Continue to use emacs and keep learning about it.  You can use
it for programming and for creating web pages, too, and for lots of
other things, like your email.  Emacs works with the GUI as well.  It's
the only editor you need.  If you don't like it or don't get along with
it, you can try vi or vim (which I don't get along with).  If that
doesn't work for you, either, try joe.

Keep in mind that when you are logged in as root, you can do anything
you want, and it's easy to mess up your system.

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch