Re: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> We await your announcement of 'success'.
>
> P.S. It is (hd1,1). You really do not want to do put GRUB there. It is
> not the same as /dev/sdb. Honest.

*******SUCCESS********
*******SUCCESS********
Debian Squeeze installed successfully !

The dual-boot did not work but I can boot into either Win2k or Debian
simply by changing the boot order in the BIOS (hdd-0  or  hdd-1). When
I set Debian (hdd-1) as 1st boot device I do receive a menu that asks
which OS I would like to boot but Win2k (hdd-0) is not offered as a
choice. Its missing.

The only choices presented are Debian Squeeze and Debian Recovery. I
guess the fact that I did not put GRUB on the win2k drive (hdd-0) is
probably why win2k is not offered as an optional OS to boot. However,
based on the suggestions from the helpful replies I have received and
reading the online tutorials, everyone has suggested the same thing,
"Don't put Grub on the windows drive". That is good enough advice for
me! Who knows what could have happened!

I can still boot either OS (win2k or Debian) simply by changing the
boot order in BIOS. Not a big deal. Sure beats swapping drives in and
out of the computer. :)

Now I can finally join the ranks of Debian users and ask operational
questions, help others and start the real uphill climb in learning all
aspects of linux. A lot more reading and studying for sure - forever.
:)  Right off the bat I've encountered the following 'oddities'.

1) Flash in Youtube is jagged and slow motion. I read all about linux
and flash and will study this further.
2) No audio (My audio card is M-audio Delta 196) I also have on-board audio.
3) Google gmail locks up when I visit the page to check my mail.

These are just some of the many issues I'm sure I will encounter as
time goes on. I will do much research to solve these issues on my own
before posting separate questions on each issue (one at a time). First
task is to settle in with learning the basics of the new OS.

Learning the intricate choices and partitioning aspects during the
debian-install was a tremendous learning experience. As time goes on,
I will probably re-install Debian on its own system as I believe that
is the best way to proceed.

I kindly thank all who have endured and answered my questions from the
beginning to end.The advice given on this mailing list is superb!

Looking forward to promoting Debian and Linux!

Thank you and be well.
Wally