Desktops, was Why is Nautilus using 38% CPU?

On 9/2/2012 1:25 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sun, 2012-09-02 at 14:03 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

Based on the various Google results, I am thinking that Nautilus has a
serious set of bugs.  It uses 1G of memory, which is horrendous, but
another 22G become unavailable, form memleaks or something.  Also, much
low level disk activity but no swapping.  Weird.  I think it is running
because desktop icons are enabled, I think that uses Nautilus to
implement.

I am going to temporarily retreat to another window manager and desktop
for a while, and see if this bug gets fixed.  Do a lot of Googling and
follow the progress of this issue from a distance.  Life's too short...

    Mark, about your Nautilus problems - I gave up on Nautilus (and on
Gnome as a matter of fact) some time ago - My GUI file manager of
preference is XFE...blazingly fast but based on QT I believe not on GTK.
Perhaps not as versatile as Nautilus...but it gets the job done for me -
YMMV - but most times is use Midnight Commander...from  the CLI.

 On Ubuntu Studio I'm using Xfce4 with Nautilus 3.4.2 and Thunar.
 Nautlius doesn't need memory and doesn't need CPU resources, everything
 is ok here.
 For Debian testing, "wheezy". I experience GNOME 3 as a PITA, especially
 if it should emulate GNOME 2 and in the future GNOME upstream will make
 systemd a hard dependency, IMO this is insane, it already is insane that
 pulseaudio is a hard dependency.
 Xfce4 is similar to GNOME 2.

I am looking at MATE, a fork of GNOME 2. It's still early days, but it's coming along nicely. They have a repository for Debian.

The thing I object to (besides the Nautilus thing on my machine) about GNOME3 is the incessant swooping around of the mouse. It's not economical of therbligs.

Mark