Re: Why is Nautilus using 38% CPU?

On 9/2/2012 11:24 AM, Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 11:04:14 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:

On 9/2/2012 8:46 AM, Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 19:59:08 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:

Re: Why is Nautilus using 38% CPU?

Is this normal behavior?

You mean while system is idle? And it happens continously?

Yes, exactly.

I have a fairly beefy system, so it should be < 1% I would think.

YOu can create a fresh new user and check if the nautilus process runs
stable from there.

You're right. A test user appears to have no problem under GNOME3, full desktop. Top shows no Nautilus tasks in the top 50, and ps ditto.

What GNOME version are you using? Nautilus should be off (not running)
since gnome-shell unless you had it configure for handling the desktop
or you manually launched it.

The GNOME metapackages all say 3.0, but most of it is 3.4.  It's all
Wheezy.

Yup, Wheezy has been at 3.4 since time ago.

Is this relevant?: I'm running the 3.5-trunk kernel from experimental.
Running it on assorted VMs with no problem.

Hard to tell with the little info you provide :-)

:) I am looking for a starting point.

Well, you can start by saying why there's a nautilus process running in
your session :-)

Your guess is as good as mine.

Then, are you using any extensions for gnome-shell? And what happens when
you login with gnome-classical instead?

No extensions beyond the standard Debian features. I run "Classic" by default. I have desktop icons enabled.

Anyway, it seems that Google returns lots of issues like yours (nautilus
taking too many CPU cycles):

http://bit.ly/OeslLY

I will check them out, thanks.