Re: Why is Nautilus using 38% CPU?

On 9/2/2012 12:23 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 11:54:48 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:

On 9/2/2012 11:24 AM, Camaleón wrote:

You mean while system is idle? And it happens continously?

Yes, exactly.

I have a fairly beefy system, so it should be < 1% I would think.

YOu can create a fresh new user and check if the nautilus process runs
stable from there.

You're right.  A test user appears to have no problem under GNOME3, full
desktop.  Top shows no Nautilus tasks in the top 50, and ps ditto.

Curious. Whatever is making dancing your CPU cycles there has to be
within your usual user's profile :-?

What GNOME version are you using? Nautilus should be off (not
running) since gnome-shell unless you had it configure for handling
the desktop or you manually launched it.

The GNOME metapackages all say 3.0, but most of it is 3.4.  It's all
Wheezy.

Yup, Wheezy has been at 3.4 since time ago.

Is this relevant?: I'm running the 3.5-trunk kernel from
experimental. Running it on assorted VMs with no problem.

Hard to tell with the little info you provide :-)

:) I am looking for a starting point.

Well, you can start by saying why there's a nautilus process running in
your session :-)

Your guess is as good as mine.

I don't get it... I can of course make some guesses but you can confirm
which is best :-)

Is either that..?

a/ You manually launch nautilus to browse files.

b/ You run gnome-fallback (gnome-classic), as this runs an instance of
nautilus by default.

c/ You run gnome-shell and have the browser handling the desktop (this
also makes nautilus to be launched on login).

d/ A mix of a/, b/ and/or c/

Then, are you using any extensions for gnome-shell? And what happens
when you login with gnome-classical instead?

No extensions beyond the standard Debian features.  I run "Classic" by
default.  I have desktop icons enabled.

(...)

Ah, okay. Then let's take b/ as valid :-). Then you can compare the
results with gnome-shell.

I rarely enter into the fallback mode in my wheezy system, let's see how
CPU resources is taking nautilus... (relogin) He, this is funny: I get a
0% of CPU usage but nautilus is using 20 MiB of my ram ("res" value). In
fact, it's listed as the top memory hungry process here.

Greetings,

Based on the various Google results, I am thinking that Nautilus has a serious set of bugs. It uses 1G of memory, which is horrendous, but another 22G become unavailable, form memleaks or something. Also, much low level disk activity but no swapping. Weird. I think it is running because desktop icons are enabled, I think that uses Nautilus to implement.

I am going to temporarily retreat to another window manager and desktop for a while, and see if this bug gets fixed. Do a lot of Googling and follow the progress of this issue from a distance. Life's too short...

Thanks for your suggestions.  Very helpful.

MArk