Re: [OT] Intelectual Property Law

On 03/08/12 02:09, Celejar wrote:
On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 18:17:56 -0500
John Hasler<jhasler@newsguy.com>  wrote:

Celejar writes:
This is dogma.

It's just advice to someone who seems to think that owning copyrights
makes the publishers his "masters".

Fair enough.

There is a great deal of software, and certainly other cultural
material (books, movies, music) out there which has no FLOSS
equivalent, and I don't have the time / skill to manufacture my own.

Do as you will.  The point is, you don't actually _need_ that stuff.

Quite true.

You peruse it by choice (and so do I (except for the movies)).

Agreed.

Is it really reasonable to refuse to read all books that have not been
released under a FLOSS license?

It is evidently feasible to not read at all.  I'm sure you have
neighbors and/or coworkers who are living example of that.

True.

Celejar
Ho hum.

I just have to wade in with one additional point.

Back in the day I remember when CD-ROMs were being promoted/released.

I think it was on Blue Peter.

They demonstrated how robust a medium it was by spreading marmalade (it's like jam) on the thing, wiping it off and showing that it still worked.

These days I don't dare look sideways at a CDs or DVDs in case they catch a scratch.

I'm backing up my collection onto hard disk and I'm using a CD/DVD repair kit, and I have to use it once or twice on those items I watch more frequently, "oh gee, I must have watched that one a lot, out with the repair kit".

This is all going to change once augmented reality really kicks in - last time I checked you could still invite friends over to watch a movie or listen to music.

Once "your place" becomes virtual, no copyright laws are being broken, or am I wrong here?

Regards,
Philip Ashmore