Re: [OT] Intelectual Property Law [WAS: Re: what graphic card to buy?]
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: [OT] Intelectual Property Law [WAS: Re: what graphic card to buy?]
- From: Yaro Kasear <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 00:59:29 -0500
- Message-id: <5018C5C1.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- References: <20120718123527.GE31237@tal> <5006BE50.firstname.lastname@example.org> <8D187B7E-3DF2-446F-9695-6DA643DDB7DE@pobox.com> <50077F71.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <5007987D.email@example.com> <20120719060858.GE4753@sid.nuvreauspam> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <5008683A.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20120720073050.GM4753@sid.nuvreauspam> <email@example.com>
On 07/31/2012 01:42 PM, Celejar wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:30:50 +0300
Andrei POPESCU<firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
On Jo, 19 iul 12, 22:50:25, Celejar wrote:
Quite true - and completely irrelevant to my point. I don't deny that
money can be made with FLOSS, just that it's pointless to try to sell
copies of one's software if it's freely copyable. The examples you give
are all of models other than the straightforward sale of licenses or
IMO a business model that relies on the possibility to sell copies that
basically cost nothing to produce is broken.
Is this a moral claim, a business one, a legal one, or just plain dogma?
Ironically, selling GPL software you had absolutely no hand in
developing or contributing to is an actual right the GPL guarantees.
This might not be the best example of how "advantageous" open source can
be. And probably not one of those cases in the GPL that guarantees
"morality" as the FSF might see it.
Theoretically, I can buy a 500 stack of DVDs, burn Debian to all of
them, and sell them for $50 a pop because the GPL says I can. There is a
difference, though, between having the right to do so and actually have
even a small sampling of success. Worse, I come off as a leech from the
community, especially if I don't give a nickel of that money back to the
I forget the point I'm making.