Re: [OT] Intelectual Property Law [WAS: Re: what graphic card to buy?]

On 07/31/2012 01:42 PM, Celejar wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:30:50 +0300
Andrei POPESCU<andreimpopescu@gmail.com>  wrote:

On Jo, 19 iul 12, 22:50:25, Celejar wrote:
Quite true - and completely irrelevant to my point. I don't deny that
money can be made with FLOSS, just that it's pointless to try to sell
copies of one's software if it's freely copyable. The examples you give
are all of models other than the straightforward sale of licenses or
copies.
IMO a business model that relies on the possibility to sell copies that
basically cost nothing to produce is broken.
Is this a moral claim, a business one, a legal one, or just plain dogma?

Celejar

Ironically, selling GPL software you had absolutely no hand in developing or contributing to is an actual right the GPL guarantees. This might not be the best example of how "advantageous" open source can be. And probably not one of those cases in the GPL that guarantees "morality" as the FSF might see it.

Theoretically, I can buy a 500 stack of DVDs, burn Debian to all of them, and sell them for $50 a pop because the GPL says I can. There is a difference, though, between having the right to do so and actually have even a small sampling of success. Worse, I come off as a leech from the community, especially if I don't give a nickel of that money back to the Debian project.

I forget the point I'm making.