Re: [OT] Intelectual Property Law [WAS: Re: what graphic card to buy?]

On Mi, 01 aug 12, 00:59:29, Yaro Kasear wrote:
> On 07/31/2012 01:42 PM, Celejar wrote:
> >On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:30:50 +0300
> >Andrei POPESCU<andreimpopescu@gmail.com>  wrote:

> >>IMO a business model that relies on the possibility to sell copies that
> >>basically cost nothing to produce is broken.
> >Is this a moral claim, a business one, a legal one, or just plain dogma?

None of the above. I just think that such a business model will collapse
as soon as the consumers:
- realize the stupidity (they are starting to, probably that's why not
  many people care so much about illegal copies of music and movies
- have comparable alternatives

> Ironically, selling GPL software you had absolutely no hand in
> developing or contributing to is an actual right the GPL guarantees.
> This might not be the best example of how "advantageous" open source
> can be. And probably not one of those cases in the GPL that
> guarantees "morality" as the FSF might see it.
> Theoretically, I can buy a 500 stack of DVDs, burn Debian to all of
> them, and sell them for $50 a pop because the GPL says I can. There
> is a difference, though, between having the right to do so and
> actually have even a small sampling of success. Worse, I come off as
> a leech from the community, especially if I don't give a nickel of
> that money back to the Debian project.
> I forget the point I'm making.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the GPL allowing to sell
software[1]. But the fact that you can't rely on any kind of
exclusivity[2] businesses add value to their offering, like additional
support, etc.

[1] Technically you're not selling the software, but the media, but it
doesn't matter for this discussion.
[2] each one of your customers would be able to compete with you, since
he is allowed to distribute the software as well.

Kind regards,