Re: [OT] Intelectual Property Law

Glenn writes:
> If I buy an audio cassette of something, I've paid for the content.

No.  You've paid for the audio cassette.

> It seems reasonable to me that I have the right to make a copy of what
> I bought with machinery I own.

I agree.  The law does not.  Making copies of the "work" [1] is the
exclusive right of the copyright owner.

> ...but our masters have decided not to provide such.

They are not your masters.  You don't need their stuff.  Make your own
or get it from people who share your values.

[1] A "work", in copyright law, is the abstraction that a copy is a
physical embodiment of.
--
John Hasler