Re: unique install question? (Squeeze audio install using the Wheezy-di from a USB drive)

On 14/06/12 15:46, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:01:23 -0400 (EDT), Karen wrote in message
> <[🔎] Pine.BSF.4.64.1206131456410.45073@server1.shellworld.net>:

<snipped>

>> but there is only so much possible WITH this present box,

Provided you have at least 128MB of RAM there's not much *non-graphical*
"desktop-type" tasks that you *cannot* do.

>> its a Pentium II,  which I admit I felt should have allowed for DVD
>> booting from usb but it does not.

generally (sadly) many PII boards do not have USB boot support in the
BIOS (though updates may be available for your mb - providing someone
can install it for you. If your board has USB built in (it'll be USB
1.0) you 'might' have an option in the BIOS for "legacy USB support"
which will then allow you to use "floppy zip(?)" as a boot option. If
not then the methods Arnt has proposed will allow you to boot from the
USB DVD drive (knoppix/dsl floppy boot for CD/sbm)

> ..pentium II or III (2 or 3) or both?  Very old, you could buy a new
> machine for the money you'll save on power.  On the other hand, these
> slow old boxes will help heat your home.
>
> ..a bigger question is, does a Pentium II have enough omph to run an
> audio installer?

It should do based on my experience - though I've not done a speakup
install with less than 128MB RAM, and I use the software synth. Karen
mentioned serial port for hardware voice synth support earlier (which
the wheezy installer also supports) - I don't know what it's
requirements are compared to software (I'd 'assume' hardware would
require less).
My primary concern would be whether the audio chipset is going to be
supported - boards of that era often had BIOS and/or mb options that
needed to be configured.

This list covers a wide range of hardware - if you know the motherboard
make and model someone will probably have (or had) the board and can
advice on USB booting and audio experience.

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-