Re: unique install question? (Squeeze audio install using the Wheezy-di from a USB drive)

On 13/06/12 04:45, Brian wrote:
> On Tue 12 Jun 2012 at 16:52:43 +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 11:01:22 +0100, Brian wrote in message
>> <[🔎] 20120612100122.GJ30016@desktop>:
>>
>>> The DVD is a USB device. She cannot boot from USB on the machine she
>>> wishes to install Debian to.

Make and model?
I can't think of any common laptops (or netbooks) manufactured in the
last ten years that can't boot from a USB device.... only the Toshiba R
series laptops, and then only if it's the Toshiba external DVD not using
a Toshiba OEM DVD/CD - for which there is a work-around.
Enable "legacy USB support" in the BIOS (and disable any USB
"performance modes") and USB usually becomes bootable.

<snipped>

>> ..once in grub, Karen wants to issue:"root (" and then hit the
>> tab button twice, to get grub's suggestions on what it can boot.
>> If that fails, take a standard grub meny entry and strip it
>> "down" upwards from the bottom until the "root (" and try again
>> from there, grub 2 is more modular than legacy grub, and I don't
>> remember if I've ever done this "in anger" from grub-2.

I've tried that a number of times with old machines whose BIOS didn't
support USB booting, only on a couple of occasions did GRUB manage to
use the root=/dev/sdb line.
:-(

I've have had some success in those case with floppy image from
DamnSmallLinux designed for that purpose.
PLoP will also allow you to boot from a CD/DVD that's not supported by
the BIOS (pre-1998 BIOS)

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-