Re: unique install question? (Squeeze audio install using the Wheezy-di from a USB drive)

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 11:01:22 +0100, Brian wrote in message
<[🔎] 20120612100122.GJ30016@desktop>:

> The DVD is a USB device. She cannot boot from USB on the machine she
> wishes to install Debian to.

..she can.  She must put grub on her hard disk, or get e.g. the
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/ on a cd, and then boot into grub.

..once in grub, Karen wants to issue:"root (" and then hit the
tab button twice, to get grub's suggestions on what it can boot.
If that fails, take a standard grub meny entry and strip it
"down" upwards from the bottom until the "root (" and try again
from there, grub 2 is more modular than legacy grub, and I don't
remember if I've ever done this "in anger" from grub-2.

..tutorials etc: http://wiki.debian.org/Grub
Some other distro's points of views:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html