Re: unique install question? (Squeeze audio install using the Wheezy-di from a USB drive)

On Tue 12 Jun 2012 at 16:52:43 +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 11:01:22 +0100, Brian wrote in message
> <[🔎] 20120612100122.GJ30016@desktop>:
>
> > The DVD is a USB device. She cannot boot from USB on the machine she
> > wishes to install Debian to.
>
> ..she can.  She must put grub on her hard disk, or get e.g. the
> http://www.supergrubdisk.org/ on a cd, and then boot into grub.

She cannot boot from USB using bios settings. Is that any more precise? :)

> ..once in grub, Karen wants to issue:"root (" and then hit the
> tab button twice, to get grub's suggestions on what it can boot.
> If that fails, take a standard grub meny entry and strip it
> "down" upwards from the bottom until the "root (" and try again
> from there, grub 2 is more modular than legacy grub, and I don't
> remember if I've ever done this "in anger" from grub-2.

I have experimented and it can be very frustrating and eventually lead
nowhere. Not to be recommended to a newcomer to Debian.

> ..tutorials etc: http://wiki.debian.org/Grub
> Some other distro's points of views:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
> http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html

There is nothing here which says "This is how you boot a USB device on a
computer which has no BIOS facility to do so."