Re: unique install question? (Squeeze audio install using the Wheezy-di from a USB drive)

On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 21:02 +0100, keith wrote:
> Only security updates will then need an internet connection.

That's not true, I suspect that there are many special tasks that need
Internet access. I only can speak for real real-time, such as CNC (not
using myself) and pro-audio (currently no stable Linux DAW on my
machine :(). Since Karen tends to use audio too, real-time abilities
could become important for her too.
Assumed you have a stable Linux that completely fit to your needs and
you never need to change your hardware, than there is no reason to do
any upgrade, even not security upgrades, assumed you're careful and
Internet surfing isn't your main interest.
I had a stable DAW, but needed a real professional audio-card. For my
Envy24 semi-pro audio cards I had a stable DAW, but since I mounted a
professional audio card, I stuck. The old stable Linux is unable to
handle the new audio card, new Linux aren't able to fulfill my
requirements, regarding to a professional, stable audio and MIDI
workflow.
I need the Internet to get a new stable Linux for my needs and I suspect
that there are other domains for using Linux that need daily Internet
access.

If possible every Linux user should get good Internet access.

- Ralf