Re: unique install question? (Squeeze audio install using the Wheezy-di from a USB drive)

On Wed 13 Jun 2012 at 10:57:42 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> On 13/06/12 04:35, Brian wrote:
> >
> > By the time the choosing a mirror stage is reached with a netinst image
> > or the first CD the base files (Stable or Testing versions) have been
> > installed in /target.
>
> Instead of just hitting "Enter" at every opportunity try the "expert"
> - prior to partitioning (*before anything is written to the hard drive*)
> you'll be asked which release you want to install:-
>
> Stage: Choose a mirror of the Debian archive
> di question:
> Debian version to install:
> choice: squeeze - stable

The main menu for a netinst iso:

   Choose language
   Select keyboard layout
   Detect and mount CD-ROM
   Load installer components from CD
   Detect network hardware
   Configure the network
   Set up users and passwords
   Configure the clock
   Detect disks
   Partition Disks
   Install the base system
   Configure the package manager
   Select and install software
   Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk
   Install the LILO boot loader on a hard disk
   Continue without a boot loader
   Finish the installation
   Change debconf priority
   Check the CD-ROM(s) integrity
   Save debug logs
   Execute a shell
   Abort the installation

I don't see what you do. Is this a bug in my installer?

> > Perhaps you have the businesscard image in mind?
>
> apropos of nothing

The main menu for a businesscard iso:

   Choose language
   Select keyboard layout
   Detect and mount CD-ROM
   Load installer components from CD
   Detect network hardware
   Configure the network
   Choose a mirror of the Debian archive
   Set up users and passwords
   Configure the clock
   Detect disks
   Partition Disks
   Install the base system
   Configure the package manager
   Select and install software
   Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk
   Install the LILO boot loader on a hard disk
   Continue without a boot loader
   Finish the installation
   Change debconf priority
   Check the CD-ROM(s) integrity
   Save debug logs
   Execute a shell
   Abort the installation

Now I do see the menu item you mentioned.

> > The problem with this image for the OP is that it requires net access
>
> The OP has all the Squeeze CD/DVDs... why on earth do they need to
> connect to the internet?

As is made clear in this thread - she doesn't and it would not benefit
her.