Re: how to update Debian OS properly

On Sat, 26 May 2012 17:06:04 +0500
Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
> i was reading this article and it is very helpful and something new
> that i learned but i am a bit confuse. how come i be safe in this
> technique because what this article is saying means if i wanted to
> install a specific package this would be helpful and if the package is
> not in the "stable" then apt will check in testing and finally in sid.
> but what if i run "apt-get upgrade" then my question is, would it be
> safe and will not upgrade my OS to sid or testing.

When I upgraded squeeze to wheezy, i did ->

apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get dist-upgrade

My understanding is ->

If you apt-get upgrade, you are updating your system (squeeze)

When you use apt-get dist-upgrade you change your system from squeeze to wheezy

If you install a package from wheezy/sid  it won't be upgraded until the version number is reached in the stable (i.e. squeeze) version.

--
keith <km3952@gmail.com>