Re: how to update Debian OS properly

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM, rjc <rjc@linuxstuff.pl> wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:57:28AM BST, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> well, I have questions about upgrading Linux. since i have been using
>> Microsoft for years the concept of upgrade I think is different from
>> Linux upgrade.
>>
>> in a testing environment I was trying to upgrade the security patches
>> and I run the command
>> apt-get upgrade.
>> It ran fine, but at the end it upgraded my whole OS, first my test
>> machine was showing Debian version 6.0.4 now after the upgrade it
>> shifted to Wheezy/SID which I think is unstable.
>
> Read below [0].
>
>> In Microsoft when we upgrade  the OS. it downloads only the security
>> and OS patches.
>>
>> So the question are
>>
>> 1. how to upgrade only the security patches?
>
> aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade [1]

ok it will only update the security patches, no matter if what ever i
write in source.list?

one more question. for example. if i wanted to upgrade. but only to
stable version not to unstable or testing. then what could be done to
achieve this. if there is no stable version update then it shouldn’t
download anything from servers.

what i want is not just security patch but also OS to OS upgrade but
only stable releases
for, example. lenny to new lenny (but stable version)
for,example Lenny to Squeez (but stable squeez version)

how it is possible?

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main