Re: how to update Debian OS properly

On Fri, 25 May 2012 17:37:16 +0500
Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> > [0] It seems like you had several entries in your sources.list file(s)
> > - post the content of your file here.
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sid main

Delete the last line from your /etc/apt/sources.list

(# deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sid main)

And, I believe you can change 'squeeze' to 'stable', & remain updating the stable version, whatever the name.

Just as an aside; to make it easy on yourself, if you need to re-install again, make your partitioning scheme friendly.

i.e. One partition for swap, One partition for the / (system), & at least another for your /home (&/or data);
then if you have to re-install, only overwrite your / partition. You should, of course, still have backups of your data as well.

--
keith <km3952@gmail.com>