Re: how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

On Mi, 28 mar 12, 20:47:45, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 21:55:01 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
> > On Mi, 28 mar 12, 17:02:23, Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)

> >> Which explains little about your arguments (that's a general stanza)
> >
> > Well, so is yours, unless we are talking past each other. I was
> > specifically addressing only that paragraph, out of context.
>
> I didn't know you were interested in my arguments... they can be read
> here:

We are still talking past each other on this one. Let me try again[1]: I
was only disagreeing with you on the rather general statement that
defaults should not change when they create problems for users. Nothing
more.

[1] but I won't be posting anymore on this, it's OT already

> > It seems to me you are expecting specific arguments about the /tmp on
> > tmpfs issue. As far as I recall you did read through the debian-devel
> > discussion(s), what point is there for me to repeat it here (even if my
> > memory is faulty and you did not read it)?
>
> I read the thread it was mentioned when I first asked for feedback, which
> was this:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/11/threads.html#00281
>
> But to be sincere, I don't remember "all" of the contents of the posts
> nor "who" posted there "what"... and now you tell, I can't see any post
> belonging to you in that thread. Maybe you made your comments afterwards?

I most probably didn't contribute at all. What for? People more
knowledgeable than me and with more real life experience were already
debating the issue with interesting arguments for both "sides".

> > You expected to be able to uncompress an archive of unspecified size to
> > /tmp on a testing system.
>
> "Unspecified size"?

If you did mention a size I must have missed it, sorry for that.

> It was just the kernel source (75 MiB). Wow. How. Big. >:-)

Since this created problems for you I'm assuming either a small amount
of RAM (less than 512 MB?[2]) which points to a lower spec machine that
would need special care anyway, or that something else was already
hogging /tmp (which kinda' proves Roger's point).

[2] 20% of 512 MB is still aprox. 100MB. My laptop is up 2 days and I'am
running iceweasel, xxxterm, libreoffice, aptitude, mutt, pidgin, but
/tmp usage is still below 1MB (844 KB according to 'df -h').

> > 1. you may have had similar issues uncompressing that on any other
> > filesystem (small partition, quota, etc.)
>
> I doubt it becasue I tend to put special care for that can't happen (my netbook
> has a 250 GiB. hard disk with only 2 partitions: /swap (2 GiB) and "/" (the
> remaining space). Since I returned "/tmp" to the root filesystem I've had no
> more "hiccups".

You could have also considered uncompressing the tarball somewhere else,
like $HOME/tmp or $HOME/src, but it sure is a valid solution, especially
if you often use /tmp for such things and don't care for the potential
benefits of the tmpfs approach.

> Glad you ask. I already mentioned some points here:

Already saw that and I may comment on your suggestions there, because I
want to let this sub-thread die.

Kind regards,
Andrei